Thursday, May 03, 2007

Willy Mason - Oxygen

“I wanna speak louder than Ritalin for all the children who think that they've got a disease.” Well, keep on speaking – I am one who feels your message is long overdue. I’m involved in a field that actively promotes the drugging of young children (education), and I am one who feels that often what we are dealing with is a child who simply learns differently than other children. These children are not diseased. In many many cases they have extremely high intelligences. So, thanks for speaking out for them, Willy!

However, I find he is not only speaking out for the children of this country. He’s talking directly to me also. He’s bringing me back to my core, to some of those dreams I’ve forgotten in the midst of the chaos our country has created world-wide. “We can be stronger than bombs if you're singing along and you know that you really believe. We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there's things that we don't really need .” A dreamer? I wish not. “Do you remember the forgotten America ? Justice, equality, freedom to every race?” Where have those ideals gone? The truth is that today patriotism is preached much more than justice and equality. Patriotism, of course, means just the opposite – keeping the “other guys” out.

“I know it sounds like a dream but it's the only thing that can get me to sleep at night.” All I can say to that is thanks for sharing the sounds of your dream because it gives me hope that the darkness we now live under is not permanent. “I know the future looks dark but it's there that the kids of today must carry the light.”

Shoutout for Gotta Keep Moving “with a troubled mind a-following”. Willy Mason