Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bob Dylan - My Wife`s Home Town

I went 250 miles today (round trip) to see some students win medals in the Special Olympics. Joyful day. Very hot, wipe-out weather. I was enchanted by the student’s willingness to persevere under such oppressive conditions. The lack of complaining was both astounding and outstanding. Much of our lives are spent listening to people complain, yet here was exuberant joy personified. When I got home I found Bob Dylan waiting here for my birthday tomorrow. All through my life he has had an uncanny ability to make me think, examine myself, examine my beliefs, examine my humanity, examine my purpose. Never once has he complained about this. He didn't eve complain when I ased him to have his new CD ready for my birthday this year. He simply does things for me, year in, year out. He often can make me smile, he does have a very wry sense of humor that tickles my funny side. For the life of me, I can’t think of when he actually made me laugh out loud. Until today. Blame it on the sun.

“I just want to say that hell’s my wife’s hometown. There are reasons for that, and reasons for this, I can’t think of any just now, but I know they exist.” Of course, you need the delivery to actually taste the humor, but it’s there. “She got stuff more potent than a Texan curse.” Another hilarious tune is Shake Shake Mama. Perhaps in the more traditional ironic humor, but still funny is It’s All Good. I guess I can say that about the CD too. It’s been teased for several weeks now, and it lives up to its pre-release publicity. Gotta admit I didn’t expect it to be this much fun, but I’m glad it is. Bob Dylan