Monday, April 20, 2009

Enter The Haggis – Cameos

 “I hope this is only the end of the show, and we all get leading role.” It’s fun to enter a world of your own even when someone is trying to pull you into theirs. My mind went into the direction of the movie I’m in, and considering those around me who have leading roles, and which ones are simply cameos. What really did me in was considering from the other direction. Whose movies do I have leading roles in, and whose am I just a bit player or cameo? It’s a bit lonely on there when looking at life from that perspective. Is that what Enter The Haggis wanted me to glean from this song while I danced wildly around the room? I don’t know, nor do I think they’d ever tell me. The mind works in mysterious ways, and that’s as it should be.

One of the shout-out tunes, DNA, takes me through the same thinking about things scenario. With a slower dance beat. This one makes me consider the actions I see around me. Are the folks I deal with working from learned behaviours, or DNA? In all seriousness, it’s probably a combination with different percentages for different personalities and DNA mixtures. It’s easy to say “boys will be boys”, but that presupposes anger and violence will continue on forever and ever. It’s not what I desire, nor do most people I know desire these activities. But solutions are slippery visions. Which makes it easier to accept it’s in our DNA. The cool thing about the song is it doesn’t answer these questions. In fact, I’m not even sure they’re asking any questions. They just pop out of the narrative into the ether between the speaker and my ear.

The other shout-out is a pop-tune, Sea Of Crutches. An evocative title which invites another short essay, but I’ll let you fill in your own meandering because I believe that’s what the songwriter intended. “I’m not sleeping but I don’t know what I’m searching for.” One thing I’m sure the writer intended is some great harmonies, and that comes out with seeming effortlessness. Plus, I love the psychedelic break. I guess I need to mention a short song, because I can’t get it out of my head - (I’m Gonna) Bury My Demons. Enter The Haggis





Enter The Haggis on Eartaste