Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hanson - Been There Before

We start in the present. “There's a downtown corner, people downtown know, and a back beat rhythm on the radio. The girl who listens to a young man's song on the block I live on, in the place I'm from.” The scene is set and we are transformed to focusing on the past, the history song that’s playing on the radio. “With a young man sitting on a dock of the bay, he took a long term trip on a first class plane. Now the whole world listens to that one man's song on the block I live on, in the place I'm from.” Excellent writing, it works, and the power of the lyrics is matched by the music, which grooves along perfectly. The chorus had me singing along almost immediately. “Tell me, does it move you? Does it soothe you? Does it fill your heart and soul with the roots of rock & roll?” The answer is yes, it does all that for me. Thanks! Hanson