Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Sean Wiggins - Old #7

“Some people may think that I’m a little high-strung, but I like to believe I’m the type that gets things done.” Well, the guitars and vocals are hot enough to cook my dinner tonight, so go ahead and get’rdone. “Got three dogs with mouths to feed, I got a bunny and a bird, and five fish last I heard.” Well, the narrator is on top of most of the fine details. There’s tons of fun here, so let’s cuts to the chase here. Sometimes even the most well-rounded person can get the blues, so the narrator her will “pour myself a glass, and try to make it last, that Old #7.

In these politically correct and sue-happy days we can’t say what we used to say in song, so we are down to using nicknames. What’s cool about that is the nicknames will eventually become as popular as the real name and then there’s no difference at all so there’s probably a lawsuit brewing in Tennessee right now because I used the nickname on a website. Well, that’s distracting from the music at hand, and we are reminded that a few sips of Old #7 has the ability to get a person “half-way to heaven”.

“Well, I don’t take Prozac or those other drugs. Seen what it does to my friends, it doesn’t impress me much. I got problems like most people do, and my friends have told me I have a screw loose or two. Need a little help every now and then, and just to be sure I don’t wind up in the pen, I make myself a drink so I don’t have to think, with that Old #7.” Escape from life for awhile. Used to be acceptable. Still is, if you use a doctor-prescribed drug instead of stuff Jesus turned water into. I love the fickleness of humanity, and I’m glad Sean is willing to put the truth out there in a fun, but meaningful way. And you have to hear the slide solo! And, to keep the naysayers happy, the narrator even promises to call a cab, “if I start to see double.” Shoutout for Watchin' The World Go By. Sean Wiggins