Monday, July 02, 2007

Nataliya Medvedovskaya - String Quartet #1

This composition has the traditional instruments – cello, viola, and 2 violins, but not a traditional arrangement. Although the general layout of the piece could be considered a classical arrangement, you can rest assured this is a 21st century sound and one worth seeking out. The start of the piece lets you know in seconds that there is something different happening. The cello starts as a percussion instrument. I can imagine tympani in my head, but I know this is a string quartet.

Nataliya wisely chose not to name this piece. Let the listener decide it’s meaning for themselves. For me this piece reflects struggle or conflict. The voices are almost constantly bickering with each other, with one, then the other winning an argument. The arguments get softer, louder, quicker, and for certain brief periods of time an agreement is reached.

For me this piece represents struggle on many levels. An inner struggle we all must face when reaching a decision. A family struggle is easily heard by me another time – kids and parents reaching feverish pitches. Another hearing takes me to times at work we’ve had discord. And on to governments clashing with each over childish reasons. “You have weapons of mass destruction!” “No I don’t!” “Prove it!” “I can’t prove what I don’t have!” “You dare to talk back to me? Then I shall kill you!” And on and on.

I love the presentation. There’s a spot almost ½ way through when the deep voice seems to take control. It’s easy to say male voice, because it’s deep, but let’s just say the voice of authority. The others are listening, taking the melody (argument) into consideration, and there is peace for almost 20 seconds. Then the viola (mom?) adds a few carefully chosen phrases, and all is seeming well. After that everyone seems at peace – the music is only slightly distressed, but as the peace lengthens the discords begin coming out again. Near the end the higher voices (children?) seem to have found a way to express themselves peacefully. I love the way the music doesn’t end. There’s two notes that feel like they’re leading up to yet another burst of emotion.

Excellent flavors and a composition I’ll be returning to often. I am looking forward to hearing the growth of Nataliya as a composer.

Nataliya Medvedovskaya